CONISTON (Church), a township-chapelry in Ulverstone parish, Lancashire; containing the town, the railway station, and the post office of Coniston, under Windermere. Acres, 7, 210. Real property, £8,631; of which £4,875 are in mines, and £127 in quarries. Pop., 1,324. Houses, 260. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the Urswicks; and passed by marriage, in the time of Henry III., to the Flemings. Coniston Hall, some time a ruin, now a re-fitted picturesque farm-house, about a mile south of the town, was the residence of the Flemings till the middle of the 17th century. The area of the chapelry includes the Coniston copper-mines, and a large portion of Coniston fells. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £117.* Patron, the Rev. A. Peache. The church is a plain, oblong edifice, with a small unsightly tower.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Cumbria Record Office & Local Studies Library, Barrow and at Kendal library.
The following books contain useful information about the history of Coniston and the surrounding area.
- The Book of Coniston, by W. G. Collingwood, 3rd edition 1906.
- The Story of Coniston, written and published by Alastair Cameron & Elizabeth Brown, 2002.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Coniston.
The Register Office covering the Coniston area is Ulverston.
Residents in 1882 found in Mannex's directory of Furness and Cartmel.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Church Coniston to another place.
"CHURCH CONISTON, a township and chapelry in the parish of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale North of the Sands, in the county of Lancaster, 4 miles W. of Hawkshead, and 14 from Ulverston. It is delightfully situated near the head of Coniston Lake, and is the terminus of the branch line which leaves the London and North-Western railway at Carnforth. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £133, in the patronage of the Rev. A. Peache. The church is a neat edifice, and was rebuilt in 1819. The Baptists have a place of worship. There are parochial and infant schools; also reading room, and public library. The greater part of the inhabitants are employed in the extensive copper-mines and slate-quarries here. Near the lake of Coniston is a mountain known as Coniston Old Man, which is 2,600 feet above the level of the sea; from its summit the beautiful vales of Tilberthwaite and Yewdale are seen to perfection. On the borders of the lake stands Coniston Hall, an antique edifice, now used as a farmhouse. An annual cattle fair is held on the third Saturday in the month of September. The lord of the manor is Major-General E. Fleming."
"OLD MAN MOUNTAIN, a summit on the shore of Conistone, or Thurston Water, county Lancaster. It is 2,576 feet high, and commands a fine view."
In 1835 Church Coniston was a chapelry and a township in the parish of Ulverston.
You can see the administrative areas in which Church Coniston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
The history of Church Coniston as described in Mannex's directory of Furness and Cartmel, 1882.
View maps of Coniston and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD299988 (Lat/Lon: 54.380045, -3.080592), Church Coniston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)