Hide

Torver Rd, Coniston, Particular Baptist

hide
Hide
image
Hide
Particular Baptist church,
Torver Rd,
Coniston
Hide
topup

Cemeteries

Despite the quite small area, the yard around the building is marked on the older Ordnance Survey maps as "B. Gd".
"There is a story that, following a quarry accident, the detached fingers of the victim were interred in the chapel graveyard. Sadly no-one can tell us whether in the fullness of time he was reunited with them or not."

[The Story of Coniston, written and published by Alastair Cameron & Elizabeth Brown, 2002]

No obvious traces of graves remaining today. No burial registers identified.

A headstone located under a mass of foliage confirms the burial of a small girl daughter of one THOMAS GREGG one of the co founders of the chapel.

topup

Church History

It was founded in 1903 and closed in 1950.
The Particular or Calvinistic Baptists built a chapel at Bowmanstead in 1837. The congregation was dissolved about 1894, and the building was then used by the Plymouth Brethren. These in 1903 opened a chapel of their own, and Baptists have since reoccupied their old place of worship.

[Victoria County History of Lancashire, vol. viii, 1913]

"The recently reopened chapel of Coniston is a comparatively modern one, having been erected in 1837, and enlarged in 1841. It has yet passed through some vicissitudes. About 40 years ago Mr. Myers was the minister, having succeeded Mr. Kirkbride. Mr. Myers was followed about 1865 by Rev. George Howells, who worked hard to keep the widely-spread Church together, and succeeded. He ministered to the three Churches of Coniston, Sunnybank, and Hawkshead Hill, preaching to one or other of these churches every Sunday. He left Coniston, after a twenty-one years' pastorate, and the Rev. Arthur Johnson became the minister. Nine years ago the chapel passed to the "Plymouth Brethren," who have now, however, erected a place of their own, and it is a matter for thanksgiving that at last the little meeting house has come back to the Baptist denomination."

[F. N. Richardson, 'Old Baptist Meeting Houses in Furness', a booklet limited to 50 copies, published in 1904 and based on articles in 'Ulverston News', 3 & 10 December 1903.]

"The Baptist Sunday School had been carried on all the while by Mr. William Shaw, and on regaining possession of the chapel a congregation was once more formed with Rev. R. Jardine as pastor."

[W. G. Collingwood, 'The Book of Coniston', 3rd edition 1906.]

Still mentioned in Kelly's Directory of Lancashire, 1924.

"In the Great Floods of 1950, water poured down from the fell. It ... broke into the [Baptist] chapel, filling with debris the baptistery, the stone bath in which baptisms took place. It caused so much damage that the small congregation could not afford to restore the building and as a result it was sold and became a private house, as it is today ... The 1891 census names a George Howell, occupation Baptist Minister of Coniston Baptist Chapel, living with his family at Rose Cottage. Several people have told us stories of Pastor Bob Knipe and Eli Pickles and their families, who were enthusiastic evangelists."

[The Story of Coniston, written and published by Alastair Cameron & Elizabeth Brown, 2002]

DRAFT APPLICATION made to Charity Commissioners by "persons interested in the administration of the charity consisting of a chapel at Bowmanstead in the parish of Church Coniston in the County of Lancaster formerly used by a Congregation of Particular Baptists ... the charity was created by an Indenture dated the 25 July 1842 ... the Congregation holding the doctrines aforesaid has been totally dissolved and the Chapel ceased to be used as a Baptist place of worship about six years ago. It has since been used as a place of Worship by the Plymouth Brethren and in pursuance of the provision in the Trust Deed ... the Managers have agreed to sell the same to Mr George Fleming of High Dixon Ground, Coniston. It is the intention of Mr George Fleming to use the premises as a place of Worship for the present Congregation of Plymouth Brethren.

Dated 1900, with associated papers. Cumbria Record Office, Barrow: Thomas Butler (Solicitors) collection, Broughton-in-Furness, BD/TB Box 23.

topup

Church Records

No chapel records known.

This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches themselves.

topup

Maps

It was located at SD3003596849 (Lat/Lon 54.362339, -3.078226). You can see this on maps provided by:

It was located at SD3003596848 (Lat/Lon 54.36233, -3.078226). You can see this on maps provided by:

Hide
hide