"SOUTHWORTH-WITH-CROFT, a parish in Warington district, Lancashire; 1¾ mile SSW of Kenyon-Junction r. station, and 4¼ NE by N of Warrington. It has a post-office, of the name of Croft, under Warrington. Acres, 1,851. Real property, £4,255. Pop., 1,094. Houses, 228. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £230.* Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church is recent, and has a spire. There are chapels for Independent Methodists and Roman Catholics, and an endowed school."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)