CROMPTON, a township and a sub-district in Oldham district, Lancashire. The township is in Prestwich parish, and within Oldham borough; lies near the Oldham and the Rochdale railways, 3 miles N of Oldham; contains the villages of High-Crompton, Cowlishall, and Shaw, the last of which has a post office under Oldham; and is divided into the chapelries of East Crompton and Shaw. Acres, 2, 864. Real property, £22,972; of which £2,779 are in mines, £1,060 in quarries, and £350 in gas-works. Pop., 7,032. Houses, 1,460. Many of the inhabitants are employed in collieries and in large cotton mills. The sub-district is conterminate with the township.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Oldham library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Crompton.
|Holy Trinity, Shaw, Church of England|
|St James, Crompton, Church of England|
|St Mary, High Crompton, Church of England|
|St Saviour, East Crompton, Church of England|
|Rochdale Rd, Shaw, Congregational|
|Fraser St, Shaw Cemetery, Crompton|
|St Joseph, Shaw, Roman Catholic|
The Register Office covering the Crompton area is Oldham.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Crompton to another place.
"CROMPTON, a township in the parish of Prestwich, hundred of Salford, in the county of Lancaster, 3½ miles N. of Oldham. It contains the villages of Cowlishall, High Crompton, and Shaw. Part of the land is moorland, but the township is densely populated. The inhabitants are employed in the collieries and cotton-mills. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £150, in the patronage of the crown and bishop alternately. The church is a modern building. Crompton Hail is in ruins. Lord Lyttelton has a seat here."
"SHAW, a village in the township of Crompton, and parish of Prestwich, county Lancaster, 3 miles S.E. of Rochdale, near the river Irk. It is a station on the Oldham and Rochdale branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £220, in the patronage of the Rector of Prestwick."
"COWLISHALL, a village in the parish of Prestwich, in the county of Lancaster, 3 miles N. of Oldham. It is within the limits of the borough of Oldham. The inhabitants are engaged in the collieries and cotton-mills,"
In 1835 Crompton was a township in the parish of Oldham.
You can see the administrative areas in which Crompton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Crompton and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD943096 (Lat/Lon: 53.58279, -2.088132), Crompton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)