CROSBY (Great), a village and a chapelry in Sephton parish, Lancashire. The village stands on the coast, near the river Mersey's mouth, 1¾ mile W of the Liverpool and Southport railway, 6½ miles NNW of Liverpool; is a much-frequented watering place; and has a station on the railway, a post office under Liverpool, and two hotels. The chapelry comprises 5,627 acres; of which 3,510 are water. Real property, £22,495. Pop., 3,794. Houses, 686. The property is much subdivided. Crosby House is the seat of John Myers, Esq. Crosby Point is near the village; Crosby lighthouse, 1¼ mile N of the Point, was erected in 1839, and shows a fixed light, 81 feet high; Crosby floating light is moored at the east elbow of the Burbo bank; and Crosby Channel, between that bank and the Formby, and about 6½ miles long, is the main entrance to. the Mersey. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £119.* Patron, the Rector of Sephton. The church was built in 1854, is cruciform and handsome, and has a tower with lofty spire. There are an elegant Wesleyan chapel, built in 1863 at a cost of £5,000, a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed grammar school, an endowed girls' school, and a Roman Catholic convent school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)