Duke Street, Ireleth with Askam, United Methodist Free Church
United Methodist Free Church,
Ireleth with Askam
It was founded in 1878. It is now closed, but we do not know the date of closure.
The United Methodist Free Church, in Duke St, is only a temporary structure of corrugated iron, erected about four years ago, the site for which was given by the Furness Iron and Steel Company.
Mannex's Directory of Furness & Cartmel 1892.
Originally a Free Methodist chapel. Not shown on OS map "surveyed in 1889", but mentioned in Slater's Directory of Lancashire, 1890, and in Kelly's Directory of Lancashire, 1895. Described in Bulmer's Directory of Furness & Cartmel, c1911, as "a temporary structure of corrugated iron".
Still shown as U.M. Chapel on post-Second World War Ordnance Survey maps, but closed c1950s. Subsequently converted into a social club.
In 1907 the United Methodist Free Church merged with the Methodist New Connexion and the Bible Christians to form the United Methodist Church.
In 1932 the United Methodists joined with the Wesleyan Methodists and the Primitive Methodists to form the Methodist Church of Great Britain.
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)