St Barnabas, Newton in Furness, Church of England
Newton Cross Rd,
Newton in Furness
In 1874, residents of the expanding iron-mining communities of Stank and Newton-in-Furness (within the parish of Dalton-in-Furness) had petitioned for the building of a school which could also be used for divine service.
In 1900 a new Mission Room was opened as a daughter church of Dalton-in-Furness and was named St Barnabas Church. It closed in 1977 and has since been converted into a private house, now virtually unrecognisable as a former place of worship.
No separate baptismal or marriage registers. However the building had a font and a number of baptisms did take place at Newton, being thus marked in the main St Mary's, Dalton christening registers.
Registers of services (occasionally also referring to baptisms) at Cumbria Record Office & Local Studies Library, Barrow.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches themselves.
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)