DEANE, a village and a parish in Bolton district, Lancashire. The village stands near the Bolton and Leigh railway, 1¾ mile SW of Bolton; and has a post office under Bolton. The parish contains also the town ships of Kersley, Farmworth, Little Hulton, Middle Hulton, Over Hulton, Rumworth, Westhoughton, Heaton, Halliwell, and Horwich. Acres, 19,340. Real property, £157,633; of which £46,743 are in mines. and £642 in quarries. Pop., 35,746. Houses, 7,077. The property, in many parts, is much subdivided. Large part of the population is employed in cotton factories, bleachfields, and coal-mines. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £350 * Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good, and was recently enlarged. The vicarages of Halliwell-St. Peter, Halliwell-St Paul, Westhoughton, Wingates, and Horwich, and the p. curacy of Peel or Little Hulton, are separate benefices. Marsh, the martyr, was a native and vicar.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Bolton library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Deane.
|Wigan Road United Reformed, Deane|
|Deane, Wesleyan Methodist|
The Register Office covering the Deane area is Bolton.
Some pictures of Deane.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Deane to another place.
"DEANE, a parish in the hundred of Salford, in the county of Lancaster, 2 miles S.W. of Great Bolton. It is situated in the midst of an extensive manufacturing district, and contains Haliwell, Little Hulton, Smithills Chapel, Westhoughton, Horwich, Farnworth, and five other townships, several of which have their own churches and schools. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the large cotton establishments and in the bleach grounds. The collieries are also extensively worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester, value £213, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has recently been enlarged. The charities amount to £510 per annum. There are National and, endowed schools. George Marsh, the Protestant martyr, was a native of this place."
DEANE: This name was given in 1894 to part of the former Rumworth township or parish. Deane was also the name of the ancient ecclesiastical parish containing the township. In 1898 Deane civil parish became part of Bolton Borough.
You can see the administrative areas in which Deane has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
A description of Deane in the 19th century.
View maps of Deane and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD687079 (Lat/Lon: 53.566515, -2.473555), Deane which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)