DIDSBURY, a township-chapelry and a sub-district, in Chorlton district, Lancashire. The chapelry is in Manchester parish; was constituted in 1838; lies on the river Mersey, at the boundary with Cheshire, 3 miles W of Stockport; and has a post office under Manchester. Acres, 1,527. Real property, £13,116. Pop., 1,829. Houses, 364. The property is much subdivided. Didsbury House is a chief residence. There are large cotton factories. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £180.* Patrons, Trustees. The church is old but very good; and has a tower. There is a Wesleyan Methodist College. There are also schools with £51 from endowment; and other charities with £17. The sub-district contains also three other townships. Acres, 5,948. Pop., 5,904. Houses, 978.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Manchester central library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Didsbury.
|Christ Church, West Didsbury, Church of England|
|Emmanuel, Didsbury, Church of England|
|St James, Didsbury, Church of England|
|Beaver Park Baptist, Didsbury|
|The Sephardi Congregation of South Manchester Jewish, West Didsbury|
|West Didsbury Sha'are Sedek Synagogue (and Talmud Torah) Jewish Lancashire|
|Albert Park Wesleyan Methodist, West Didsbury|
|Albert Street, Primitive Methodist, Didsbury|
|Chapel St, East Didsbury, Wesleyan Methodist|
|Didsbury St Paul Wesleyan Methodist Lancashire|
|Parrswood Rd Methodist, East Didsbury|
|Eglwys Bresbyteraidd Welsh Presbyterian, West Didsbury|
|St Aidan Presbyterian, West Didsbury|
|St Catherine of Sienna, Didsbury, Roman Catholic|
The Register Office covering the Didsbury area is Manchester.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Didsbury to another place.
"DIDSBURY, a chapelry in the parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, in the county of Lancaster, 5 miles S. of Manchester, its post town, and 3½ W. of Stockport station. It is situated on the river Mersey, which separates it from Cheshire. There are extensive mills for spinning and bleaching cotton, called the Heaton Mersey Mills. The living is a recto in the diocese of Manchester, value £180, in the patronage of trustees. The church, dedicated to St. John, is an old stone building, the tower of which contains a peal of bells. In the interior are several monuments, and a stained-glass window. The charities amount to £68 per annum. There are schools for both sexes, also a Wesleyan Methodist college. R. M. Fielden, Esq., is lord of the manor. Cattle fairs are held on the 30th April and 2nd October."
In 1835 Didsbury was a township in the parish of Manchester.
You can see the administrative areas in which Didsbury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Didsbury and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ842907 (Lat/Lon: 53.413174, -2.239221), Didsbury which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)