Pendle Rd Wesleyan Methodist, Downham
Land was bought from Richard Hargreaves, cotton manufacturer of Downham on 19 Setember 1815 and a further small plot from the Rt. Hon. William Assheton, Downham Hall. Building was completed in 1816. The population of the village, and chapel attendances, declined later and the chapel finally closed and was sold to the Rt. Hon. Ralph Assheton on 1st August 1947. It subsequently became the village hall and still thrives in that purpose today.
The Wesleyan Methodist church was formed in the 18th century from religous societies founded by John Wesley and his preachers. It suffered many secessions, but was the largest Nonconformist denomination in the 19th century. In 1932 the Wesleyan Methodists joined with the Primitive Methodists and the United Methodists to form the Methodist Church of Great Britain.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches etc. themselves.
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)