"DROYLSDEN, a township-chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire; on the Rochdale canal and the Manchester and Sheffield railway, 4 miles E of Manchester. It includes the hamlet of Little Droylsden, and the villages of Fairfield and Clayton; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Manchester. Acres, 1,611. Real property, £25,121. Pop., 8,798. Houses, 1,718. The property is subdivided. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cotton factories. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £130. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1848; an Independent chapel, in 1860; a Wesleyan chapel, in 1866; and there are Moravian and P. Methodist chapels, and British schools."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)