"ECCLESTON, a township and two chapelries in Prescot parish, Lancashire. The township lies nominally \u00be of a mile NNE of Prescot; but it includes parts of both Prescot and St. Helens towns; and it shares the railway and postal facilities of both. Acres, 3,387. Real property, £36,478; of which £4,206 are in mines, £264 in quarries, and £466 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 8,509; in 1861, 11,640. Houses, 2,045. Pop. of the part in Prescot town, 930; of the part in St. Helens town, 8,012. Crown-glass and earthenware have been extensively manufactured. The chapelries are Christ Church and St. Thomas; the former connected with Prescot town, the latter with St. Helens. Christ Church was constituted in 1838; St. Thomas, in 1839. Pop. of the former, 2,328; of the latter, 8,206. The living of C. is a p. curacy, that of St. T. a vicarage, in the dio. of Chester. Value of C., £110; * of St. T., £300.* Patron of the former, S. Taylor, Esq; of the latter, Trustees. One of the churches is a modern edifice, with a spire. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics, and a national school."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Details about the census records, and indexes for Eccleston.
|Burrows Lane Methodist, Eccleston Park|
The Register Office covering the Eccleston area is Knowsley.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Eccleston to another place.
"ECCLESTON, a township in the parish of Prescot, hundred of West Derby, county palatine of Lancaster, half a mile N.E. of Prescot, its post town, and 1½ mile N. of the St. Helen's station on the London and North-Western railway. It contains the villages and hamlets of Lane End, Thattow Heath, and Giller's Green. There are several collieries and quarries. The principal manufactures are glass and earthenware, also watch movements, tools, frames, and tobacco-pipes. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £110. Christ Church is a modern stone edifice, with spire and porch. It has two stained-glass windows, and two monumental marble tablets. The Roman Catholics and Wesleyans have each a chapel. There is a National school for both sexes, also a Wesleyan day school, and Sunday-schools. The principal residence is Eccleston Hall. S. Taylor, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"RAVENHEAD, a hamlet in the chapelry of St. Helen's, and parish of Prescot, county Lancaster, 1 mile S.W. of St. Helen's, and 2 miles N.E. of Prescot. It is situated on the Sankey canal, and is celebrated for its extensive glass works, established in 1773, covering above 20 acres."
You can see the administrative areas in which Eccleston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Eccleston and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ489947 (Lat/Lon: 53.446873, -2.770743), Eccleston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)