Egton cum Newland
"EGTON-WITH-NEWLAND, a township-chapelry in Ulverston parish, Lancashire; on the estuary of the Leven, and on the Ulverston and Lancaster railway, 1½ mile SW by S of Cark and Cartmel r. station, and 3 N of Ulverston. Post town, Cark, under Newton-in-Cartmel. Acres, 3,390. Real property, £5,502; of which £66 are in ironworks. Pop., 1,231. Houses, 236. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £161. Patron, J. P. Machell, Esq. The church is modern."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Cumbria Record Office & Local Studies Library, Barrow.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Egton cum Newland.
The Register Office covering the Egton cum Newland area is Ulverston.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Egton cum Newland to another place.
"EGTON-CUM-NEWLAND, a township and chapelry in the parish of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale North of the Sands, county palatine of Lancaster, 3 miles N. of Ulverston. It is situated near the river Leven, and includes the villages of Arrad Foot, Green Odd, Penny Bridge, and Spark Bridge. Here are iron-works and foundry, also a cotton mill, bobbin turnery, steam saw-mills, and timber yards. Coals are brought by water to Green Odd, between which place and Liverpool goods are conveyed by small sailing vessels. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £92. The church is a plain structure of rough stone, built in the latter part of the last century. It is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a National school for both sexes, with a small endowment; also a Sunday-school. The Duke of Buccleuch is lord of the manor."
"PENNY BRIDGE, a hamlet in the parish of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale, county Lancaster, 4 miles N.E. of Ulverston. It is situated at the confluence of the rivers Crake and Leven."
"NEWLANDS, a hamlet in the parish of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale North of the Sands, county Lancaster, 16 miles N.W. of Lancaster. It is situated near the river Leven's mouth, on Morecambe Bay."
You can see the administrative areas in which Egton cum Newland has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Egton cum Newland and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD307814 (Lat/Lon: 54.223569, -3.064011), Egton cum Newland which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)