ENTWISTLE, a township in Bolton-le-Moors parish, Lancashire; on the Bolton and Blackburn railway, 6½ miles N of Bolton. It has a station on the railway. Acres, 1,450. Real property, £2,429; of which £349 are in mines, and £200 in quarries. Pop., 422. Houses, 82.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Darwen library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Entwistle.
The Register Office covering the Entwistle area is Bolton.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Entwistle to another place.
"ENTWISTLE, a township in the parish of Bolton le Moors, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 6 miles N. of Bolton. It is a station on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. Calico printing is carried on, and there are several collieries in operation."
You can see the administrative areas in which Entwistle has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
A description of Entwistle in the 19th century.
View maps of Entwistle and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD720188 (Lat/Lon: 53.664616, -2.425758), Entwistle which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)