FARRINGTON, a township and a chapelry in Penwortham parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Lostock, and on the Preston and Wigan railway, 4 miles S of Preston; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Preston. Acres, 1,786. Real property, £7,174. Pop., 1,791. Houses, 311. The property is divided among a few. Farrington House and Farrington Lodge are chief residences. Part of the land is marshy. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cotton mills. The chapelry is more extensive than the township; and was constituted in 1843. Pop., 2,292. Houses, 407. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £120. Patron, the Incumbent of Penwortham. The church is modern. There is a free school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Leyland library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Farington.
The Register Office covering the Farington area is Preston and South Ribble
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Farington to another place.
"FARRINGTON, a township in the parish of Penwortham, hundred of Leyland, county palatine Lancaster, 3 miles S. of Preston, its post town, and 62 N.W. of Chorley. It is situated on the river Lostock, and is a station on the London and North-Western railway. Cotton-spinning gives employment to the greater part of the inhabitants. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under the Enclosure Act in 1819. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £120, in the gift of the Incumbent of Penwortham. The church is a modern structure dedicated to St. Paul. Here is an endowed free school, a factory school, and Sunday-schools. Farrington House and Farrington Lodge are the principal residences. Lawrence Rawstorne, Esq., is lord of the manor."
In 1835 Farington was a township in the parish of Penwortham.
You can see the administrative areas in which Farington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Farington and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD535243 (Lat/Lon: 53.713388, -2.706215), Farington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)