"The History of the Halshaw Moor Chapel", written by Harold Barnes.
The church had a graveyard.
It was founded in 1808 and closed in 1958. The first sod for the church was cut on June 24 1808, and the foundation stone was laid on July 7 1808. Although unfinished, the church held its first service on Whitsunday 1809. In July 1908, the Church celebrated its centenary.
It was originally situated in Chapel St, & then expanded to the location on Market St.
The Independent churches were ones in which each congregation was autonomous, upholding the principles of independence. In the 19th century they became known as Congregational.
In 1972 the Congregational church joined with the English Presbyterian church to become the United Reformed Church.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches themselves.