GARSTON, a small town, a township, and a chapelry, in Childwall parish, Lancashire. The town stands on the Mersey, and on the Warrington, Garston, and Liverpool railway, 6 miles SE of Liverpool; was once noted for extensive salt-works; is now a sub-port to Liverpool, with new docks; and has a railway station with telegraph, and a post office under Liverpool. The town ship includes also Aigburth, a suburb of Liverpool. Acres, 3,293; of which 1,665 are water. Real property, £31,643. Pop. in 1851, 2,756; in 1861, 4,720. Houses, 763. The chapelry includes only the eastern part of the township; excludes Aigburth; and was constituted in 1828. Pop., 2,016. Houses, 356. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £138.* Patron, Richard Watt, Esq. The church is very good; and there are two dissenting chapels, Church schools, and charities £12.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Details about the census records, and indexes for Garston.
|St Anne, Aigburth, Church of England|
|St Mary, Grassendale, Church of England|
|St Michael Church of England, Garston|
|Garston Old Rd, Congregational, Garston|
|Island Rd United Reformed, Garston|
|Aigburth Rd, Aigburth, Methodist|
|Banks Rd, Garston, Wesleyan Methodist|
|Elmswood Rd, Aigburth, Wesleyan Methodist|
|Heald St, Welsh Wesleyan Methodist, Garston|
|Island Rd, Garston, Methodist Free Church|
|Island Rd, Garston, Wesleyan Methodist|
|Bowden Rd, Garston, Unitarian|
|Chapel Rd, Welsh Presbyterian (Calvinist), Garston|
|Clifton St, Presbyterian, Garston|
The Register Office covering the Garston area is Liverpool.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Garston to another place.
"ST. ANNE AIGBURTH, a hamlet in the chapelry of Garston, parish of Childwall, and hundred of west Derby, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 4 miles to the S.E. of Liverpool. It is on the river Mersey. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Chester, in the patronage of trustees. Aigburth Hall is the chief residence.
"GARSTON, a chapelry in the parish of Childwall, hundred of West Derby, county palatine Lancaster, 5 miles S.E. of Liverpool, its post town. It is situated on the river Mersey, and includes the townships of Aigburth and Speke, and is a station on a branch line of the Stockport and Warrington railway. Extensive salt-works give employment to most of the inhabitants. There is a district church, the living of which is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £138. The charities produce about £12 yearly."
You can see the administrative areas in which Garston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Garston and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ394851 (Lat/Lon: 53.358983, -2.91158), Garston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)