GOLBORNE, a parish in Leigh district, Lancashire; on the Wigan and Newton railway, 2 miles NNE of Newton. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Warrington. It was formerly a township of Winwick parish. Acres, 1,634. Real property, £6,683; of which £1,038 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,910; in 1861, 2,776. Houses, 513. The increase of pop. arose from the demand for operatives in cotton factories. The property is subdivided. Golborne Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £110.* Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church is a modern edifice, in the early English style; and consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are an Independent chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel, erected in 1863, a Church of England school, and charities £36.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Wigan library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Golborne.
|Charles St Baptist, Golborne|
|High St Congregational, Golborne|
|All Saints, Golborne, Roman Catholic|
The Register Office covering the Golborne area is Wigan and Leigh.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Golborne to another place.
"GOLBORNE, a township in the parish of Winwick, hundred of West Derby, county palatine of Lancaster, 2 miles N.E. of Newton, and 7 N. of Warrington, its post town. The London and North- Western railway has a station here. Cotton spinning is carried on in this neighbourhood. The village is of considerable extent. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value 2110, in the patronage of the Earl of Derby. The church is a modern stone structure, dedicated to St. Thomas. The charities produce about £30 per annum for the poor. There is an endowed school, also a National school for both sexes. Golborne Park and Heywood Hall are the principal residences."
You can see the administrative areas in which Golborne has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Golborne and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ607982 (Lat/Lon: 53.478733, -2.593155), Golborne which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)