GOOSNARGH, a township and a chapelry in Kirkham parish, Lancashire. The township is conjoint with Newsham; lies near the Lancaster and Preston railway, 3 miles NE of Barton and Broughton r. station, and 6¾ NNE of Preston; and has a post office, of the name of Goosnargh, under Preston. Acres, 9,290. Real property, £10,275. Pop., 1,307. Houses, 256. The chapelry excludes Newsham, but includes Whittingham and Inglewhite. Rated property, £8,031. Pop., 1,171. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron; Christ Church, Oxford. The church is old but good; and consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with square tower. There are chapels for Independents and Roman Catholics. Bushell's hospital for decayed gentry, with an edifice resembling a mansion, has £855 from endowment; a grammar school has £65; the Whitechapel schools have £42; and other charities have £111 .
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Preston library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Goosnargh.
The Register Office covering the Goosnargh area is Preston and South Ribble
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Goosnargh to another place.
"GOOSNARGH, a chapelry in the parish of Kirkham, hundred of Amounderness, county palatine Lancaster, 6 miles N.E. of Preston, its post town. The Broughton station on the Lancaster and Preston branch of the London and North-Western line is about 3 miles from the village. The chapelry, which comprises above 10,000 acres, includes the hamlets of Inglewhite and Newsham, also the township of Whittingham. The land is divided between arable and pasture, with a small tract of moorland. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £150, in the patronage of Christ Church, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The register dates back to the early part of the 17th century. The endowments form an aggregate of upwards of £1,000 per annum. The principal building is Goosnargh Hospital, founded by Dr. Bushell in 1735 for decayed gentlefolks of this neighbourhood professing the Protestant faith. It has a yearly income of about £850. The Independents and Roman Catholics have chapels, and there are two free schools, one having an endowment of £65, and the other £42. Cattle fairs are held on Rogation Tuesday, 25th April, and 5th October."
"WHITECHAPEL, a chapelry in the parish of Kirkham, hundred of Amounderness, county Lancaster, 6 miles S.E. of Garstang."
You can see the administrative areas in which Goosnargh has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Goosnargh and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD565405 (Lat/Lon: 53.859218, -2.663208), Goosnargh which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Lancashire Family History & Heraldry Society - Fylde Branch
- Lancashire Family History & Heraldry Society - Preston Branch
- Lancashire Parish Register Society