HARWOOD (GREAT), a town, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district in Blackburn parish and district, Lancashire. The town stands near the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 1½ mile SW of the river Calder, 2¼ SE of Ribchester r. station, and 4½ NE of Blackburn; is a rising place, well built of native stone; nearly doubled its population in the ten years prior to 1865; is governed by a local board of health; and has a post office under Accrington, a news-room, cotton mills, a national school, a church, and chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Roman Catholics. The church is ancient, and has a west tower. The Roman Catholic chapel is a handsome edifice of 1860. Pop., in 1861, 3,294. Houses, 637. The chapelry comprises 2,510 acres. Real property, £9,521; of which £75 are in gasworks, and £85 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 2,548; in 1861, 4,070. Houses, 782. The manor belongs to James Lomax, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £200. * Patron, the Vicar of Blackburn. The sub-district contains also two other townships of Blackburn parish, and one of Whalley. Acres, 6,950. Pop., 10,220. Houses, 1,952.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Accrington library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Great Harwood.
|Emmanuel Free Church of England, Great Harwood|
|St Bartholomew (originally St Laurence), Great Harwood, Church of England|
|St John Church of England, Great Harwood|
|Barnmeadow Lane, Great Harwood, United Reformed|
|Queen St, Great Harwood, Congregational|
|Blackburn Rd Cemetery, Great Harwood|
|Our Lady and St Hubert, Great Harwood, Roman Catholic|
|St Wulstan, Great Harwood, Roman Catholic|
The Great Harwood site has information about each of the local churches.
The Register Office covering the Great Harwood area is Hyndburn and Rossendale.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Great Harwood to another place.
"GREAT HARWOOD, a township and chapelry in the parish and hundred of Blackburn, county Lancaster, 4½ miles N.E. of Blackburn. It is situated near the Leeds and Liverpool canal, and is of considerable extent, the land being chiefly arable and pasture, with some woodland. The village is very considerable, and contains the mills of the Commercial Company (Limited), and several other cotton mills, which give employment to the population. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £200, in the patronage of the Vicar of Blackburn. The church of St. Bartholomew is an ancient edifice, with a square tower containing one bell. The Independents have a chapel, and a school endowed with £15 per annum. The other charities produce about £30 per annum.
Great Harwood genealogy links.
You can see the administrative areas in which Great Harwood has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
A few notes about the history of Great Harwood.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD732335 (Lat/Lon: 53.796669, -2.408355), Great Harwood which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)