Greenhalgh with Thistleton
GREENALGH (or GREENHALGH) WITH THISTLETON, a township in Kirkham parish, Lancashire; gear the Fleetwood railway, 3 miles NW of Kirkham. It includes Esprick hamlet; and has ruins of a castle, said to have been built by the first Earl of Derby, and seeming to have comprised seven or eight towers of much height and strength. (This is incorrect, Greenhalgh Castle was near Garstang.) Acres, 1,821. Real property, £4,082. Pop., 383. Houses, 75. There is an Independent chapel.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Kirkham library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Greenhalgh.
The Register Office covering the Greenhalgh area is Blackpool & Fylde.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Greenhalgh with Thistleton to another place.
"GREENHALGH-WITH-THISTLETON, a township in the parish of Kirkham, hundred of Amounderness, county palatine Lancaster, 3 miles N.W. of Kirkham, its post town, and 4 S.E. of Poulton-le-Fylde. The Preston and Fleetwood branch line of railway passes in the vicinity. The township includes the hamlet of Esprick. A castle belonging to the Stanleys once stood here, of which there are some remains. (This is incorrect, Greenhalgh Castle was near Garstang.) The people are employed in agriculture. The Independents have a chapel."
"THISTLETON, a hamlet in the parish of Kirkham, hundred of Amounderness, county Lancaster, 4 miles N.W. of Kirkham. It is joined with Greenhalgh to form a township."
"ESPRICK, a hamlet in the parish of Kirkham, township of Greenhalgh, county palatine of Lancaster, 3 miles N.W. of Kirkham."
In 1835 Greenhalgh was a township in the parish of Kirkham.
You can see the administrative areas in which Greenhalgh with Thistleton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Greenhalgh and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD406367 (Lat/Lon: 53.823262, -2.903464), Greenhalgh with Thistleton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)