HALE, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict in Childwall parish and Prescot district, Lancashire. The village stands on the coast of the Mersey, 2 miles S W of Halewood r. station, and 10 SE by E of Liverpool; is a picturesque and pleasant place, much frequented by pleasure parties from Liverpool; and has a post office under Warrington. The township comprises 1,626 acres of land and 2,165 of water. Real property, £3,847. Pop., 648. Houses, 122. The manor belonged, in the time of William the Conqueror, to John de Ireland; and has descended from him to its present proprietor John Ireland Blackburne, Esq. Hale Hall, Mr. B. 's seat, was built, in 1674, by Sir Gilbert Ireland; has a recently erected front; and commands a fine view of the Mersey. A decoy pool, for catching wild fowl, is about ¼ of a mile from the village. The chapelry is more extensive than the township, and is of very ancient date. Pop., 1,062. Houses, 202. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £105. * Patron, J. I. Blackburne, Esq. The church is a plain building, with aisles, porch, and tower. Charities, £15. John Middleton, known as "the child of Hale," who was 9 feet 3 inches high, was born here in 1578, and died and was buried here in 1623. The sub-district contains the townships of Hale, Speke, and Halewood. Acres, 13,042. Pop., 2,424. Houses, 430.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Details about the census records, and indexes for Hale.
The registers of the parish church, St Mary, have been published by the Lancashire Parish Register Society as follows.
- Volume 92 - Mar 1572-1754, Bap & Bur 1572-1740.
- Volume M15 - Bap , Mar & Bur 1741-1842.
The Register Office covering the Hale area is Halton.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hale to another place.
"HALE, a chapelry in the parish of Childwall, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 6 miles S. of Prescot. It is situated on the northern bank of the river Mersey, and forms the most southern point of land in the county. The village is small and almost wholly agricultural. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £183 19s. 9d. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £105. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The charities produce £15 per annum, which goes to the support of Past's free school. The Child of Hale, John Middleton, was born here in 1578. His height was 9 feet 3 inches, and he had a hand 17 inches in length. He was introduced at the court of James I., and died here in 1623. Hale Hall, which has a decoy, was built by the Irelands in 1674. In the conservatory is a palm-tree, supposed to be the finest in Europe, being 27 feet in height, and above 100 years old, having been brought to England in 1737."
You can see the administrative areas in which Hale has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Hale and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ466820 (Lat/Lon: 53.332613, -2.803799), Hale which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)