Hide

Haslingden

hide
Hide

"HASLINGDEN, a town, a township-chapelry, a subdistrict, and a district in Lancashire. The town stands adjacent to the East Lancashire railway, near Rossendale forest, 4 miles S by E of Accrington, and 16 N by W of Manchester. The chief employments are in cotton factories, sheeting and fulling mills, iron foundries, size works, a brewery, and stone quarries. Several mansions and handsome villas are in the neighbourhood. Pop. of the town, in 1851, 6,154; in 1861, 6,929. Houses, 1,295. The chapelry is in Whalley parish, and comprises 4,420 acres. Real property, £25,479; of which £575 are in gas works, and £1,007 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 9,030; in 1861, 10,109. Houses, 1,935. The manor belongs to the Duke of Buccleuch. The landed property is chiefly divided among five. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. * Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The sub-district contains also the township of Henheads. Acres, 4,780. Pop., 10,320. Houses, 1,975."

John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) more ...

Hide
topup

Archives & Libraries

Haslingden Library,
Higher Deardengate,
Haslingden
Rossendale
BB4 5LQ

topup

Census

topup

Civil Registration

The Register Office covering the Haslingden area is Hyndburn and Rossendale.

topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Haslingden which are provided by:

topup

Directories

David Greenhalgh has extracted entries from Pigot's 1828 Directory.

topup

Gazetteers

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

"HASLINGDEN, a township, chapelry, and market town in the parish of Whalley, lower division of the hundred of Blackburn, county Lancaster, 9 miles N. of Bury, and 10 N.W. of Burnley. It has a station on the East Lancashire railway, which passes near to the town, and has also a telegraphic station. This place is situated in the midst of a hilly district on the border of the Forest of Rossendale. The town, which is situated on the old road from Bury to Burnley, is a very ancient market town, but has recently been much modernised. The more ancient portion is situated on the acclivity of the hill, and is irregularly built, the principal street being Church-street. The modern portion is built at the foot of the hill, bearing an incline towards the valley, the leading thoroughfare being Dearden-gate. The townhall is a stone building, erected in 1852, at the cost of £1,600. Adjoining it is the police station; and in Dearden-gate the mechanics' institution, established in 1855, with news and reading rooms, also library and class-rooms. The workhouse is situated in Lower-lane. The town also contains a brewery, and several cotton and woollen manufactories. The Haslingden Gas and Coke Company's works were erected in 1856, adjoining the railway station. In the vicinity of the town are stone and slate quarries and collieries. Haslingden is the head of a Poor-law Union, embracing ten townships in the parishes of Whalley and Bury, and the seat of superintendent registry and new County Court districts, the latter being held on every other Tuesday. Petty sessions are also held in the townhall once a fortnight. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £275, in the patronage of trustees. The church, dedicated to St. James, is a stone structure, rebuilt in 1780 with a more modern tower containing a peal of eight bells.

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

"ROSE-BANK, a hamlet in the parish of Whalley, county Lancaster, 2 miles S. of Haslingden, and 14 N.W. of Manchester. It is situated in the valley of the river Irwell, near Edenfield, and on the borders of Rosendale Forest. There are extensive print works."

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

"HELMSHORE, a hamlet in the parish of Whalley, county Lancaster, 12 miles N.W. of Manchester. It is a station on the Manchester branch of the West Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, and is situated near Rossendale Forest and the river Irwell."

topup

Genealogy

Haslingden Roots are a voluntary group of individuals who set up to help people research their family history of the area.

topup

Historical Geography

In 1835 Haslingden was a chapelry and township in the parish of Whalley.

Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.

You can see the administrative areas in which Haslingden has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

image

View maps of Haslingden and places within its boundaries.

A map of Haslingden around 1890.

View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD765229 (Lat/Lon: 53.701765, -2.35749), Haslingden which are provided by:

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

The Workhouse site has an interesting description of Haslingden workhouse.

topup

Probate Records

For probate purposes prior to 1858, Haslingden was in the Archdeaconry of Chester, in the Diocese of Chester. The original Lancashire wills for the Archdeaconry of Chester are held at the Lancashire Record Office.

topup

Societies

You can also see Family History Societies covering the nearby area, plotted on a map. This facility is being developed, and is awaiting societies to enter information about the places they cover.