HEAPEY, a township-chapelry in Leyland parish, Lancashire; adjacent to the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 2 miles NE of Chorley r. station. Post town, Chorley. Acres, 1,456. Real property, £2,267. Pop. in 1851, 495; in 1861, 396. Houses, 81. The decrease of pop. was caused by want of employment. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to W. S. Cari., Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150. * Patron, the Vicar of Leyland. The church was built in 1750, and improved in 1829; and was intended in 1865 to be enlarged. There is a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Chorley library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Heapey.
The Register Office covering the Heapey area is Chorley.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Heapey to another place.
"HEAPEY, a chapelry in the parish and hundred of Leyland, N. division county Lancaster, 2 miles N.E. of Chorley. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £150, in the patronage of the Vicar of Leyland. The church was enlarged in 1841, when 351 free sittings were provided. There is a National school."
You can see the administrative areas in which Heapey has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Heapey and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD614196 (Lat/Lon: 53.671379, -2.585011), Heapey which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)