Providence United Methodist Free Church, Love Clough
Originally built in 1846 by a small group connected with the Wesleyan Methodists of Bacup. Used as a chapel and school house. By 1850 it had 33 members and 100 scholars. In 1868 it was decided that the original chapel was too small and by 1871 funds had been acquired to build the new chapel. The Foundation stones of which were laid by the Rev John Garside of Burnley on Good Friday 1871. Approximately 311 people were interred there with 101 gravestones and 68 different surnames. The chapel closed its doors in 1961 and was eventually demolished in 1967 but the graveyard is still there along with its residents.
In 1907 the United Methodist Free Church merged with the Methodist New Connexion and the Bible Christians to form the United Methodist Church.
In 1932 the United Methodists joined with the Wesleyan Methodists and the Primitive Methodists to form the Methodist Church of Great Britain.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches etc. themselves.
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)