HOOLE, a village, two townships, and a parish in Preston district, Lancashire. The village is Much Hoole; stands near the river Douglas, 2¾ miles NW of Croston r. station, and 7 SW of Preston; and has a post office under Preston. The townships are Much Hoole and Little Hoole; the latter N of the former, and on the estuary of the Ribble. Acres of Much Hoole, 1,701. Real property, £3,511. Pop., 708. Houses, 136. The chief landowners are Lord Lilford and the Marquis de Rothwell. Acres of Little Hoole, 1,222; of which 70 are water. Real property, £2,533. Pop., 424. Houses, 72. A large cotton factory is here. The parish consists of the two townships. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £280. Patron, T. B. Addison, Esq. The church was originally a chapel of ease to Croston; is a plain edifice, with a low tower; and was enlarged in 1864. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and some small charities.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Leyland library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Hoole.
The Register Office covering the Hoole area is Preston and South Ribble
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hoole to another place.
"HOOLE, a parish in the hundred of Leyland, county Lancaster, 8 miles S.W. of Preston, its post town, 11 N.E. of Ormskirk, and 2 from the Cockerbar railway station on the East Lancashire line. It is situated on the river Douglas or Astland, and on the old turnpike road between Preston and Liverpool. This parish was separated in 1642 from that of Croston, and contains the townships of Much and Little Hoole. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil is partly a marly loam, alternated with peat-moss and marsh. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £280. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester, value £280. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, was formerly a chapel-of-ease to Croston. It is a small edifice with a low tower containing one bell. The interior of late has undergone thorough repair. There is an endowed National school for both sexes. A commodious brick building has recently been erected as a schoolhouse, in which a Sunday-school is held. The parochial charities produce about £29 per annum. George Anthony Leigh Keck, Esq., Rev. Richard Renshaw Rothwell, and R. R. Rothwell, Esq., are lords the manor and chief landowners."
You can see the administrative areas in which Hoole has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Hoole and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD478232 (Lat/Lon: 53.702715, -2.792828), Hoole which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)