Houghton, Middleton and Arbury
"HOUGHTON, a hamlet and a township in Winwick parish, Lancashire. The hamlet lies 2½ miles NNE of Warrington. The township includes also Middleton and Arbury, and comprises 839 acres. Real property, £1,745. Pop., 253. Houses, 45."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Details about the census records, and indexes for Houghton Middleton and Arbury.
The Register Office covering the Houghton Middleton and Arbury area is Warrington.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Houghton, Middleton and Arbury to another place.
"HOUGHTON, a township in the parish of Winwick, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 2 miles N. of Warrington. It includes the hamlet of Middleton.
MIDDLETON, a hamlet in the parish of Winwick, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 4 miles N.E. of Warrington. It is joined to Houghton-on-Arbury to form a township."
"ARBURY, a township in the parish of Winwick, hundred of West Derby, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 3 miles to the N. of Warrington. It is a joint township with Houghton and Middleton. The Liverpool and Manchester railway passes near it."
In 1835 Houghton Middleton and Arbury was a township in the parish of Winwick.
You can see the administrative areas in which Houghton, Middleton and Arbury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Houghton and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ617922 (Lat/Lon: 53.425615, -2.577474), Houghton, Middleton and Arbury which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)