HUTTON, a township with a village in Penwortham parish, Lancashire; near the river Ribble, 3½ miles SW by W of Preston. Acres, 2,683; of which 760 are water. Real property, £3,780. Pop., 461. Houses, 85. Hutton Hall is the seat of L. Rawstorne, Esq. Bricks and tiles are made. There is a free grammar school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Leyland library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Hutton.
The Register Office covering the Hutton area is Preston and South Ribble
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hutton to another place.
"HUTTON, a township in the parish of Penwortham, hundred of Leyland, county Lancaster, 3½ miles S.W. of Preston. It is situated not far from the Ribble, on the old road from Liverpool to Preston. The village is wholly agricultural. The township contains 1,923 acres, of which more than one-third is marsh and water. Bricks and draining tiles are made here. In this township is situated the Hutton free grammar school. The principal residences are Hutton Hall and Penwortham Priory."
You can see the administrative areas in which Hutton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Hutton and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD484273 (Lat/Lon: 53.739844, -2.784143), Hutton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)