"INCE-IN-MAKERFIELD, a township and a chapelry in Wigan parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, and the London and Northwestern railway, 1¼ mile SW of Wigan; and has a station on the L. and Y. railway, and a post office under Wigan, both of the name of Ince. Acres, 2,314. Real property, £69,829; of which £56,920 are in mines, and £30 in the canal. Pop. in 1851, 3,670; in 1861, 8,266. Houses, 1,533. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the extension of mining and manufacturing operations. A fine cannel coal is found; an excellent common coal is very largely worked; and there are extensive iron works, some cotton mills, and chemical works. Ince Hall, formerly the seat of the Gerard family, is a curious, half timbered, ancient structure. The cemetery of Ince, comprising 4 acres, and a cemetery of Wigan, comprising 18 acres, are within the township. The chapelry is nearly conterminate with the township, and was constituted in 1862. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300. Patrons, Simeon's Trustees. The church was built in 1864, at a cost of £6,000. There are three national schools; two of them built in 1866."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)