KIRKLAND, a township in Garstang parish, Lancashire; on the river Wyre and the Lancaster canal, 1¼ mile SW of Garstang. It contains Garstang-Churchtown village; and has there the parish church and an endowed school. Acres, 894. Real property, £2,109. Pop., 388. Houses, 83. The manor and most of the land belong to the representatives of the late T. B. Cole, Esq.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Garstang library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Kirkland.
The Register Office covering the Kirkland area is Lancaster.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirkland to another place.
"KIRKLAND, a township in the parish of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, county Lancaster, 1½ mile S.W. of Garstang. It is situated on the river Wyre and Lancaster canal, and contains the village of Garstang Church Town, at which place stands the parish church of Garstang. The soil is gravelly. There is an endowed school, also a Sunday-school in connection with the church. In the centre of the village is an ancient stone pillar. Thomas B. Cole, Esq., is lord of the manor."
In 1835 Kirkland was a township in the parish of Garstang.
You can see the administrative areas in which Kirkland has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Kirkland and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD478438 (Lat/Lon: 53.887441, -2.795538), Kirkland which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)