LEIGH, a town, a township, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Lancashire. The town stands on the Leigh and Wigan canal, on a loop-line of railway, from Tyldesley to Bradshaw-Leach, and near the Bolton and Kenyon branch of the Northwestern railway, 7¼ miles SW by S of Bolton; comprises portions of West Leigh, Pennington, Bedford, and Atherton townships; has undergone much improvement, under the Local Government act of 1858, and under the Public Works Manufacturing Districts act of 1863; is a seat of petty sessions and county courts, and a polling place; publishes a weekly newspaper; and has a post office under Manchester, two railway stations with telegraph, a bankingoffice, a market-place, a town hall, gas-works, three churches, four dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a grammar school, two national schools, a British school, a public cemetery, and charities £339. There are large cotton factories, foundries, malting establishments, two breweries, and three corn mills. Pop. of the town in 1851, 5,206; in 1861, 10,621. Houses, 2,098. Pop. in 1851, of the West Leigh portion, 838; of the Pennington portion, 4,496; of the Bedford portion, 4,885.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) more...
The Local History Library, Leigh Library, Market Place, Leigh, Lancs WN7 1DY - Tel: 01942 404559
Leigh library have a couple of film readers, a couple of fiche readers and a helpful local historian. I would advise booking in advance. They also carry electoral rolls and local history books of the area.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Leigh.
|St John The Evangelist, Leigh, Church of England|
|St Mary the Virgin, Leigh, Church of England|
|Church St Baptist, Leigh|
|Bethesda, Leigh, Independent|
|Manchester Rd, Cemetery, Leigh|
|Twist Lane, Leigh, Unitarian|
|Twist Lane, Leigh, Society of Friends|
The Register Office covering the Leigh area is Wigan and Leigh.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Leigh to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Leigh has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Leigh and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD646003 (Lat/Lon: 53.497793, -2.534827), Leigh which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Liverpool & Southwest Lancashire Family History Society - Leigh Group
- Lancashire Parish Register Society