Levenshulme, township with ry. sta., Manchester par., SE. Lancashire, 3 miles SE. of Manchester, 606 ac., pop. 3557; P.O., T.O.; is a local government district, and shares in the industries of Manchester.
John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887)
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"LEVENSHULME, a township in the parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 3 miles S.E. of Manchester, its post town. It is a station on the London and North-Western railway. The village, which is large, is situated on the high road between Manchester and Buxton. There are two cotton mills and extensive print and bleach works. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. There is no church, Divine service being performed in the National school-room, which is licensed for that purpose. The Wesleyans and Roman Catholics have each a chapel. There is a convent in Alma Park."