HULTON (LITTLE), a village and a township chapelry in Deane parish, Lancashire. The village stands 2¼ miles WSW of Halshaw-Moor and Farnworth r. station, and 3½ S of Bolton; is a considerable place, inhabited chiefly by weavers and colliers; and has a post office under Bolton. The chapelry is sometimes called Peel. Acres, 1,470. Real property, £18,005; of which £11,084 are in mines, and £86 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 3,184; in 1861, 3,390. Houses, 670. Peel Hall belongs to Harrison Blair, Esq.; and Kenyon Peel Hall, to Lord Kenyon. Coal is largely worked. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150. Patron, Lord Kenyon. The church is a plain building, with a bell turret. There are a school room used for worship, chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Details about the census records, and indexes for Little Hulton.
|Wharton United Reformed, Little Hulton|
|Wharton Lane Presbyterian, Little Hulton|
|Our Lady and the Lancashire Martyrs, Little Hulton, Roman Catholic|
|St Edmund, King and Martyr, Little Hulton, Roman Catholic|
|St Joseph, Little Hulton, Roman Catholic|
The Register Office covering the Little Hulton area is Salford.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Little Hulton to another place.
"LITTLE HULTON, (or Peel), a chapelry in the parish of Deane, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 4 miles S. of Bolton. The village, which is considerable, is chiefly inhabited by weavers and colliers. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £170. The church, which was consecrated in 1760, is dedicated to St. Paul.
In 1835 Little Hulton was a township in the parish of Deane.
You can see the administrative areas in which Little Hulton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Little Hulton and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD731033 (Lat/Lon: 53.526113, -2.407572), Little Hulton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)