The church has/had a graveyard.
It was founded in 1760.
The original Chapel (Peel Chapel) built by the Yates family was consecrated in 1760 and stood a few yards to the north of the present Church covering the vaults of the Kenyon and Fletcher families. People walked from Farnworth, Kearsley and Walkden to attend services as it was the only place of worship between Eccles and Deane (in which parish it was situated).
The foundation stone of the present Church was laid by Lord Kenyon on August 5th, 1874 and the consecration took place on December 14th, 1876. The estimated cost was £5,500. The stone for the foundations of the Church and superstructure was obtained from Peel Quarry. The spire, which was completed in June 1898 cost a further £2000 and has a height of 165 feet from the ground.
Within the Church, three other types of stone are used. The pillars are Bath & Runcorn stone, the Reredos, Screen and Font being a type of 'alabaster' and is reportedly from the 'Blue John Mines' in Derbyshire. The green stone forming part of the legs of the large Font is to be found in Connemara, Southern Ireland and possibly reached the Church through a family connection of the Fletcher family of Peel Hall or through local links with workmen on the Manchester Ship Canal.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches themselves. For current information you should contact them directly.