LONGTON, a village, a township-chapelry, and a subdistrict, in Preston district, Lancashire. The village stands adjacent to the head of the Ribble's estuary, 3½ miles W of Preston-Junction r. station, and 5 SW of Preston; is about 2 miles long; and has a post office under Preston. The chapelry comprises 3,132 acres of land, and 560 of water; and is in Penwortham parish. Real property, £6,784. Pop., 1,637. Houses, 310. The property is much subdivided. Malting is largely carried on; and there are two breweries. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £190. Patron, L. Rawstorne, Esq. The church was built in 1770, and is a good brick structure. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a free grammar school, and charities £29. The sub-district comprises the parishes of Penwortham and Hoole. Acres, 14,240. Pop., 6,620. Houses, 1,204.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Details about the census records, and indexes for Longton.
|Chapel Lane Primitive Methodist, New Longton|
|Chapel Lane, Longton, Primitive Methodist|
|Marsh Lane, Wesleyan Methodist, Longton|
|Moss Lane, New Longton, Primitive Methodist|
|St Oswald, Longton, Roman Catholic|
The Register Office covering the Longton area is Preston and South Ribble
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Longton to another place.
"LONGTON, a chapelry in the parish of Penwortham, hundred of Leyland, county palatine of Lancaster, 4 miles S.W. of Preston, its post town. It is situated on the bank of the river Ribble. The village is a straggling place, about 2 miles in length, through which the old road from Liverpool to Preston passes. The district for the most part is agricultural. There are malt-kilns and a brewery. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £148. The chapel is a brick structure of the last century. There is a free grammar school, open to all, having an endowment of £30. The other charities produce in all about £48 per annum. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels."
In 1835 Longton was a township in the parish of Penwortham.
You can see the administrative areas in which Longton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Longton and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD478255 (Lat/Lon: 53.722987, -2.793317), Longton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)