LOSTOCK, a township in Bolton-le-Moors parish, Lancashire; on the Bolton and Preston railway, 4 miles W of Bolton. It is connected ecclesiastically with West Houghton chapelry. Acres, 1,426. Real property, £2,146. Pop., 580. Houses, 121. Lostock Hall here is a timbered house of 1563, with oriels; belonged to the Andertons; and passed to the Blundells. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Details about the census records, and indexes for Lostock.
The Register Office covering the Lostock area is Bolton.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lostock to another place.
"LOSTOCK, a township in the parish of Bolton-le-Moors, hundred of Salford, county palatine of Lancaster, 4 miles W. of Bolton. It is a station on the West Lancashire and Yorkshire line of railway. Mining operations are extensively carried on. Here are the remains of Lostock Hall, a wooden edifice of the 16th century, supposed to have been the residence of the Andertons; over the highest oriel window are the royal arms, with the date 1590."
"LOSTOCK LANE, a hamlet in the parish of Deane, county Lancashire, 4 miles W. by N. of Bolton. It is a station on the W. section of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway."
You can see the administrative areas in which Lostock has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
A description of Lostock in the 19th century.
View maps of Lostock and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD654084 (Lat/Lon: 53.571309, -2.52443), Lostock which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)