St. John's is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1870 from that of St. Cuthbert. The church, on the East beach, consecrated on 11th September 1850 is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, south transepts, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower with spire containing 6 bells : the principal windows are stained : there are sittings for 800 persons, of which 173 are free. The registers date from the year 1850. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £280, in the gift of J.T. Clifton esq. and held since 1870 by the Rev. Thomas Gregory Smart M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge.
from Kelly's Lancashire Directory, 1895