MAGHULL, a township-chapelry in Halsall parish, Lancashire; on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, and on the Liverpool and Ormskirk railway, 5 miles SSW of Ormskirk. It has a station on the railway, and a postoffice under Liverpool. Acres, 2,073. Real property, £8,439. Pop., 1,144. Houses, 196. The property is much subdivided. Maghull Hall is the seat of B. French, Esq.; Manor House, of H. M'Elroy, Esq.; and Moss-Side House, of T. Harrison, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £155. Patron, the Rector of Halsall. The church is a good plain edifice, of varions dates. There are a national school, and charities £4.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)