Melling in Halsall
MELLING, a township-chapelry in Halsall parish, Lancashire; on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, adjacent to the river Alt, and to the East Lancashire railway, 1 mile SE of Maghull r. station, and 7 NNE of Liverpool. It has a postal letter-box under Liverpool. Acres, 2,120. Real property, £5,430; of which £100 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 662; in 1861, 728. Houses, 126. The chief landowners are Lord Skelmersdale, the Earl of Derby, and T. W. Blundell, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £120. Patron, the Rector of Halsall. The church was rebuilt in 1834; is in the pointed style; and contains several handsome tablets. There are a national school, with £25 a year from endowment, and a Roman Catholic school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Details about the census records, and indexes for Melling in Halsall.
The Register Office covering the Melling in Halsall area is Sefton South.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Melling in Halsall to another place.
"MELLING, (or Melling-cum-Cunscough), a township in the parish of Halsall, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 7 miles N.E. of Liverpool, its post town, and 6 S.W. of Ormskirk. The township, which is wholly agricultural, is situated on the Leeds and Liverpool canal. There are quarries of building stone. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £120, in the patronage of the Rector of Halsall. The church was rebuilt in 1834; and is dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial charities produce about £28 per annum, of which £25 goes to the National school for both sexes. There is also a Roman Catholic school. The tithes were commuted in 1837 for £505.
"CUNSCOUGH, a chapelry in the parish of Halsall, in the county of Lancaster, 3 miles S. of Ormskirk. It is united with the township of Melling."
You can see the administrative areas in which Melling in Halsall has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Melling and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD394009 (Lat/Lon: 53.500929, -2.914885), Melling in Halsall which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)