This is the Middleton near Manchester. There is also a Middleton township near Lancaster.
"MIDDLETON, a town, a township, a sub-district, and a parish, in Lancashire. The town stands in a fertile vale, on the river Irk, at the terminus of a short branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, near the Rochdale canal, 6 miles N by E of Manchester; took its name from being situated in the centre of several circumjacent towns; was only a village of 20 houses in 1770; has risen, since 1780, into a populous seat of manufacture; is now an important place, nearly a mile in length, well supplied with water, thoroughly drained, and under the management of a local improvement board by act of 1861; is so conjoined with Tonge in both proximity and trade as practically to include or absorb that town; carries on industry in extensive silk factories, in numerous large cotton factories, in calico-printing, bleaching, and dyeing establishments, in iron foundries, and in machinemaking establishments; publishes a weekly newspaper; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post office under Manchester, a railway station with telegraph, several good inns, a police station, a market-house, public baths, two churches, five dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chape1, a grammar school, two national and infant schools, a free library, a church reading-room and library, an agricultural society, and a floral and horticultural society."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Middleton library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Middleton.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Middleton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Middleton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
A description of Middleton in the 19th century.
View maps of Middleton and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD869065 (Lat/Lon: 53.554893, -2.199089), Middleton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)