MOSSLEY, a town and a chapelry on the mutual border of Lancashire, Cheshire, and W. R. Yorkshire. The town stands on the river Tame, the Huddersfield canal, and the Manchester and Leeds line of the Northwestern railway, under Heartshead Pike, 3 miles NE of Ashton-under-Lyne; was originally a hamlet of Ashton-under-Lyne parish, all within Lancashire; has risen, since about 1840, into great manufacturing importance; was recently placed under the provisions of the local government act, and then defined to include portions of Micklehurst and Tintwistle townships in Cheshire, and the entire tract of Quickmere in Saddleworth township. W. R. Yorkshire; includes suburbs called Mossley-Bottom and Mossley-Brow; carries on industry in handloom woollen weaving, in several woollen factories, and in extensive cotton factories; is supplied with gas from Staleybridge gasworks, and with water from Ashton and Staleybridge waterworks; and has a railway station with telegraph, a post office of Mossley, under Manchester, a post office of Mossley-Bottom, under Manchester, a church, four dissenting chapels, a mechanics' institute, and parochial, national, British, and Roman Catholic schools. The church was built in 1755, and enlarged in 1788; and contains nearly 1,000 sittings. The Independent chapel stands at Mossley-Brow, and is a large and handsome stone structure. The Wesleyan chapel stands in Stamford-road, was built in 1867, is in the Lombardo-Venetian style, and contains 600 sittings. The mechanics' institute was built in 1858, and is a large and well-contrived stone structure. Fairs are held on the last Friday of Feb., 21 June, and the last Monday of Oct.; and wakes are held on the last Saturday of July. The chief residences in the vicinity are Apsley House, G. Andrew, Esq.; Whitehall, G. Mayall, Esq.; Highfield House, J. Mayall, Esq.; Breage Hill, S. Shaw, Esq.; Waterton, E. and J. Buckley, Esq.; Limefield, if,. Andrew, Esq.; and Valley Cottage, J. Kershaw, Esq. The assessment under the local act, in 1864, amounted to upwards of £26,000; and the population, in that year, was upwards of 13,000. The chapelry was made ecclesiastically parochial in 1865; and is bounded from N to SW by the County brook, and the river Tame. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. Patron, the Rector of Ashton.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Stalybridge library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Mossley.
|All Saints, Micklehurst, Church of England|
|St George, Mossley, Church of England|
|St John the Baptist, Roughtown, Church of England|
|Abney, Mossley Brow, Congregational|
|Cemetery Rd Cemetery, Mossley|
|Stamford Rd Unitarian, Mossley|
|Stamford Street Christian Unitarian, Mossley|
|St Joseph, Mossley, Roman Catholic|
Before 1889 this township was split between the three counties of Lancashire, Yorkshire and Cheshire. The Lancashire part formed the chapelry of Mossley in the parish of Ashton under Lyne, while the Yorkshire part was in the chapelry of Saddleworth in the parish of Rochdale. Bishop's transcripts for both these parts are held in the Lancashire Record Office. The third part of the township was in the parish of Mottram in Longdendale, Cheshire, and its bishop's transcripts are held at the Cheshire Record Office. In 1889 the whole township was transferred to Lancashire and in 1974 to the Tameside district of Greater Manchester. Enquiries about ecclesiastical records, other than bishop's transcripts, should be made to the Local Studies Unit, Manchester Central Library and to the Cheshire Record Office.
The Register Office covering the Mossley area is Tameside.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mossley to another place.
"MOSSLEY, a hamlet in the district of Hartshead, and parish of Ashton-under-Lyne, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 2 miles N. of Staleybridge, and 9 E. of Manchester. It is a station on the Manchester and Leeds section of the London and North-Western railway. It is situated on the Huddersfield canal, near the river Tame, and under Hartshead Pike. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the cotton and woollen mills. Near Hartshead Pike is a lofty circular tower, surmounted by a spire. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £127, in the patronage of the Rector of Ashton. The church was built in 1755, and enlarged in 1786. There is a place of worship for New Connexion Methodists. Fairs are held on the 21st June, and the last Monday in October, for cattle."
ENG-LAN-MOSSLEY-SADDLEWORTH is an e-mail list for Mossley genealogy.
The 1888 Boundary Commission maps which show how the various districts were combined into Lancashire. Prior to 1888 the Yorkshire part of Mossley was Roughtown and Quickedge. The Cheshire section included Heyheads, Hollins, Micklehurst and the Lancashire section which remained was St Georges, Brown Edge.
You can see the administrative areas in which Mossley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Mossley and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD978018 (Lat/Lon: 53.513042, -2.034064), Mossley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)