KELLET (NETHER), a township in Bolton-le-Sands parish, Lancashire; 5 miles N by E of Lancaster. Acres, 2,018. Real property, £2,659. Pop., 284. Houses, 54. Dunald-Mill-Hole here is a curious stalactitic cavern, forming the commencement of a natural tunnel, which extends nearly 3 miles to the vicinity of Carnforth. A stream turns a mill adjacent to the cavern, and then traverses the tunnel.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Details about the census records, and indexes for Nether Kellett.
The Register Office covering the Nether Kellet area is Lancaster.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Nether Kellet to another place.
"NETHER KELLET, a township in the parish of Bolton le Moors, hundred of Lonsdale South of the Sands, county Lancaster, 1½ mile from Over Kellet, and 5 miles N. of Lancaster. There are some limestone quarries. In this township is a natural cavern called Donald Mill Hole, at the entrance of which is a mill worked by a stream which runs through a subterranean passage for nearly 3 miles.
You can see the administrative areas in which Nether Kellet has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD516680 (Lat/Lon: 54.105475, -2.741384), Nether Kellet which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Lancashire Family History & Heraldry Society - Lancaster & Morecambe Branch
- Lancashire Parish Register Society