WYERSDALE (Nether), a township in Garstang parish, Lancashire; on the river Wyre, 4 miles NNE of Garstang. It contains Scorton village and Dolphinholme cotton factory; and comprises 3,640 acres. Real property, £3,892. Pop., 667. Houses, 121. The manor belongs to P. Ormrod, Esq. Wyre Side is the seat of H. Garnett, Esq.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Garstang library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Nether Wyresdale.
The Register Office covering the Nether Wyresdale area is Lancaster.
Information about Scorton village.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Nether Wyresdale to another place.
"NETHER WYRESDALE, a township in the parish of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, county Lancaster, 4 miles N.E. of Garstang, its post town, and 6 N.E. of Garstang Church Town. The township includes the hamlet of Scorton, and is watered by the river Wyer. The soil is clay and loam. At Cross Hill is an endowed school for both sexes. The cotton manufactory of Dolphinholme is in this township. Wyerside is the principal residence. Peter Ormod, Esq., is the lord of the manor and principal landowner.
"DOLPHINHOLME, a village in the parish of Cockerham, in the county of Lancaster, 6 miles S. of Lancaster. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Manchester, in the patronage of R. Garnett, Esq."
"SCORTON, a hamlet in the parish of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, county Lancaster, 2 miles N.E. of Garstang, and 9 S. of Lancaster. It is a station on the Preston and Carlisle railway. It is situated near the river Wyre."
In 1835 Nether Wyresdale was a township in the parish of Garstang.
You can see the administrative areas in which Nether Wyresdale has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Nether Wyresdale and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD518506 (Lat/Lon: 53.949537, -2.736207), Nether Wyresdale which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)