NETHERTON, a township, with a village, in Sefton parish, Lancashire; on the river Alt, and on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 6 miles N by E of Liverpool. Acres, 1,090. Real property, £2,661. Pop., 286. Houses, 45. The manor belongs to the Earl of Sefton. There is a Roman Catholic chapel.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Details about the census records, and indexes for Netherton.
The Register Office covering the Netherton area is Sefton South.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Netherton to another place.
"NETHERTON, a township in the parish of Sefton, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 7 miles N. by E. of Liverpool. The village, which is inconsiderable, is situated on the river Alt, and is intersected by the Leeds canal. The inhabitants are wholly engaged in agriculture. The land is chiefly arable and meadow. There is a place of worship for the Roman Catholics. The Earl of Sefton is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
You can see the administrative areas in which Netherton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Netherton and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ361994 (Lat/Lon: 53.487245, -2.964313), Netherton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)