Goldshaw Booth / Newchurch in Pendle
NEWCHURCH-IN-PENDLE, a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire; averagely 3 miles N W of Marsden r.station, and 6 N W of Burnley. It contains the town-ships of Goldshaw-Booth, Roughlee-Booth, Old-Laund-Booth, and Barley-with-Wheatley-Booth; and its post town is Burnley. Acres, 5,080. Rated property, £5,012. Pop. in 1851, 2,328; in 1861, 1,738. Houses, 372. The property is much subdivided. The manors belong to the Duke of Buccleuch. The cotton manufacture is largely carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £175. Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church is in the early English style; was built in 1544; and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower. There are three Methodist chapels and a parochial school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Nelson library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Newchurch in Pendle.
The Register Office covering the Newchurch in Pendle area is Burnley and Pendle.
Information about the area provided by Pendle.Net.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Goldshaw Booth / Newchurch in Pendle to another place.
"NEWCHURCH-IN-PENDLE-FOREST, a chapelry and township in the parish of Whalley, higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, county Lancaster, 6 miles N. by W. of Burnley, and 4 S. by W. of Clitheroe. The village, which is considerable, is situated near the rivers Calder and Ribble, and about a mile from the Leeds and Liverpool canal. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the cotton and worsted mills, and in the weaving of mousselines de laine. The substratum abounds in coal, of which there are several pits in operation, and there are also quarries of sandstone and carboniferous limestone. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £150, in the patronage of Hulme's Trustees. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There are places of worship belonging to the Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and other sects. There are National and Lancasterian schools."
"GOLD SHAW BOOTH, a township in the parish of Whalley, higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, county palatine Lancaster, 5 miles N.W. of Burnley. Whalley is its post town. It is situated in Pendle Forest, and is the centre of a new ecclesiastical district, including Old Lund Booth, Rough Lee Booth, and Barley-with-Wheatly Booth. The people are mostly employed in spinning yarn. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £135. The church is a modern stone structure dedicated to St. Mary. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The Duke of Buccleuch is lord of the manor."
In 1835 Newchurch in Pendle was a chapelry and a township in the parish of Whalley. The Township was called Goldshaw Booth.
You can see the administrative areas in which Goldshaw Booth / Newchurch in Pendle has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Newchurch in Pendle and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD806384 (Lat/Lon: 53.841126, -2.296009), Goldshaw Booth / Newchurch in Pendle which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)