MEOLS (NORTH), a village, a township, a sub-district, and a parish in Ormskirk district, Lancashire. The village stands on a rivulet, 1 mile from the coast, and 2½ NE of Southport r. station; bears the name of Churchtown; and has a post office of that name under Southport, and a fair on the Monday and Tuesday after 20 Aug.-The township contains also the town of Southport, and the hamlets of Southaws, Hawside, Little London, Higher Blowick, Lower Blowick, Rowe-Lane, Marshside, Crossens, and Banks. Acres, 18,871; of which 10,805 are foreshore-water. Real property, £48,226. Pop. in 1851, 8,694; in 1861, 14,661. Houses, 2,585. The increase of pop. was chiefly in Southport; and arose, there and elsewhere, principally from house-building for mercantile men, and from the establishing of boarding-schools. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Rev. Charles Hesketh and the Trustees of the late Scarisbrick, Esq. North Meols Hall was formerly the seat of the Heskeths, and is now a farm-house. Hand-loom silk weaving is a principal employment. The sub-district is conterminate with the township. The parish contains also the township of Birkdale; and comprises 10,301 acres of land, and 14,240 acres of water. Real property, £53,178. Pop. in 1851, 9,319; in 1861, 15,947. Houses, 2,822. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Valne, £844. Patron, the Rev.Hesketh. The church stands at Churchtown; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and spire; and contains monuments to the Heskeths and the Fleetwoods. Three vicarages of Southport, and those of Crossens, Banks, and Birkdale are separate benefices. Chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £22 are in North Meols ecclesiastical section; and ten dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, and three national schools are in Southport.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Ormskirk library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for North Meols.
|St Cuthbert Church of England, North Meols|
|St John Church of England, Crossens|
|St Stephen in the Banks, Church of England|
|Botanic Rd Independent, Churchtown|
The Register Office covering the North Meols area is Sefton North.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from North Meols to another place.
"NORTH MEOLS, a parish in the hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 3 miles N.E. of Southport, its post town, and 7½ N.W. of Ormskirk. The parish, which is very considerable, is divided into two townships, North Meols and Birkdale. It is bounded on the N.W. by the Irish Sea, near the mouth of the river Ribble. It contains the chapelries of Crossens and Southport-the latter a modern bathing-place-besides 10 hamlets The inhabitants are principally employed in handloom silk-weaving. The living is a rent. in the diocese of Chester, value £844. The parish church, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, is a stone structure with a spired tower containing a clock and two bells. The interior of the church contains several monuments to the families of the Heskeths and Fleetwoods. In addition to the parish church are the following churches, viz: Christ Church, at Southport; Trinity; St. James's, Birkdale; and Crossens, the livings of which are all perpetual curacies, varying in value from £678 to £200. The parochial charities produce about £22 per annum, of which £18 go to the grammar school. There is a school for infants. The Wesleyans, Independents, and Primitive Methodists, have each a chapel. North Meols Hall, formerly the seat of the Heskeths, is now converted into a farmhouse. Manor courts are held annually, by Charles Scarisbrick, Esq., and the Rev. Charles Hesketh, who are the lords of the manor and principal landowners. An annual fair is held on the nearest Monday and Tuesday to the 20th August, for cattle, pigs, &c."
"SOUTHAWS, a hamlet in the township and parish of North Meols, county Lancaster, 7 miles N.W. of Ormskirk."
"ROWE LANE, a hamlet in the parish and township of North Meols, county Lancaster, 7 miles N.W. of Ormskirk."
"MARSHSIDE, a hamlet in the parish and township of North Meols, county Lancaster, 8 miles N.W. of Ormskirk."
"HAWSIDE, a hamlet in the parish of North Meols, county Lancaster, 7 miles N.W. of Ormskirk. It is situated near the mouth of the river Ribble."
"CROSSENS, a hamlet in the parish of North Meols, in the county of Lancaster, 7 miles N.W. of Ormskirk. It is situated at the mouth of the river Ribble. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Chester."
"CHURCHTOWN, a hamlet in the parish of North Meols, in the hundred of West Derby, in the county of Lancaster, 7 miles N.W. of Ormskirk. It is situated near the coast, at a short distance from the mouth of the river Ribble."
"BLOWICK, (Higher and Lower) hamlets in the parish of North Meols, hundred of West Derby, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 6 miles to the N.W. of Ormskirk. They are seated near the coast, at the mouth of the river Ribble."
"BANKS, a hamlet in the parish of North Meols, in the hundred of West Derby, and county palatine of Lancaster, 9 miles to the N. of Ormskirk."
ENG-LAN-SOUTHPORT is an e-mail list for Southport genealogy.
You can see the administrative areas in which North Meols has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of North Meols and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD370194 (Lat/Lon: 53.667357, -2.955006), North Meols which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)