OPENSHAW, a township and a chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Manchester and Stockport canal, and on the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire railway, 2½ miles E by S of Manchester; contains a large village of its own name; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Ashton-under-Lyne. Acres, 571. Real property, £2,866. Pop. in 1851, 3,759; in 1861, 8,623. Houses, 1,688. The increase of pop. arose from the establishment of ironworks and chemical works. The manor belongs to G. Legh, Esq. There are a large cotton mill, weaving-sheds, extensive dye-works, a very extensive manufactory of railway carriages, and a depot for repairs of locomotive engines. The chapelry was constituted in 1840; was, till 1861 or later, conterminate with the township; and was subsequently curtailed, so as to have a pop. of only 2,777. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1839, at a cost of £4,500; is in the early English style; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and spire; and contains 800 sittings. A Wesleyan chapel was built in 1864, at a cost of £2,600; is in the Anglo-Italian style; and contains 600 sittings. There are also chapels for New Connexion Methodists. United Free Methodists, and Roman Catholics; and schools, called the Cobden Memorial schools, were built in connexion with the United Free Methodist chapel in 1866, at a cost of about £800. There is likewise a mixednational school, with £25 a year from endowment.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Manchester Central library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Openshaw.
|Ashton Old Road, Openshaw, Congregational|
|Lees St Congregational, Higher Openshaw|
|St Paul Presbyterian, Higher Openshaw|
The Register Office covering the Openshaw area is Manchester.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Openshaw to another place.
"OPENSHAW, (or Andenshaw) a township in the parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 3½ miles S.E. of Manchester, its post town. It is a station on the Sheffield and Lincolnshire railway. It is situated on the Manchester and Stockport canal, and on the road to Ashton-under-Lyne. There are extensive cotton mills and dye works, also a large railway carriage manufactory, which together afford employment to a large number of the inhabitants. The soil is of a clayey nature, alternating with sand, and resting on a subsoil of sandstone. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester. The church, dedicated to St. Barnabas, has a square tower surmounted by aspire. The church was erected in 1838 at an outlay of £4,500. There are commodious National schools for both sexes, endowed with £500, and in which a Sunday-school is also held. The Wesleyans and Roman Catholics have each a place of worship. George C. Legh, Esq., is lord of the manor.
In 1835 Openshaw was a township in the parish of Manchester.
You can see the administrative areas in which Openshaw has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Openshaw and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ883974 (Lat/Lon: 53.473204, -2.177262), Openshaw which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Crossley Brothers built engines on Pottery Lane.