"ORRELL, a village and a township in Wigan parish, Lancashire. The village stands adjacent to the Liverpool and Bury railway, 1 mile S of the Leeds and Liverpool canal, and 3 W of Wigan; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office under Wigan. The township contains also the village of Far-Moor, and comprises 1,542 acres. Real property, £6,016; of which £260 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 2,762; in 1861, 2,932. Houses, 570. Much of the property belongs to Lord Kingsdown and M. Bankes, Esq. Coal is worked; nail-making is carried on; and there is a cotton mill. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Roman Catholics; a national school at Far-Moor, used also a chapel of ease: and Independent and Roman Catholic schools. A Benedictine nunnery was established at Mount Orrell in 1821."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Wigan library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Orrell.
|St Luke, Orrell, Church of England|
|Jireh, Orrell, Baptist|
|Orrell, Salem Chapel, Congregational|
|Chapel St, Lamberhead Green, Wesleyan Methodist|
|Church Drive, Orrell, Primitive Methodist|
|Church St, Orrell, Wesleyan Methodist|
|Fleet St, Lamberhead Green, Wesleyan Methodist|
|Orrell Rd, Orrell Post, Primitive Methodist|
|Orrell, St James, Roman Catholic|
The Register Office covering the Orrell area is Wigan and Leigh.
"ORRELL, a township three miles west of Wigan, is famed for its mines of exceLlent coal, and has a peculiar interest attached to it, has having at 'Orrell Mount' an establishment of French Benedictine nuns, under Madame Louise de Levis Mireoix, late of Montargis, in France, who, being driven from their native country by the horrors of the revolution, landed at Brighton on the 18th of October, 1792, and have ever since found an asylum in this country, first at Heath, in Yorkshire, and since 1821 at this place. By their unremitting and successful attention to the education of the youth of the catholic persuasion, and their exemplary deportment, this society has obtained the patronage of many distinguished individuals, and the kindly feelings of all who know the establishment. Orrell township contained, in 1821, 2,106 inhabitants."
Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of the county of Lancashire - Pigot & Co. 1828
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Orrell to another place.
"ORRELL, a township in the parish of Wigan, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 3 miles W. of Wigan, its post town. It is a station on the W. section of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. The village, which is considerable, is situated near the Leeds and Liverpool canal, and on the high road to Ormskirk. In this township are extensive collieries, employing a large portion of the inhabitants. Divine service is performed in the National schoolhouse at Far-Moor. The Independents have a place of worship, and the Roman Catholics a chapel at Serenus Place, with Sunday-schools in connection. A party of Benedictine nuns from France settled at Orrell Mount in 1821."
In 1835 Orrell was a township in the parish of Wigan.
You can see the administrative areas in which Orrell has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Orrell and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD537055 (Lat/Lon: 53.544074, -2.700265), Orrell which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)