"ORRELL and FORD, a township in Sefton parish, Lancashire; on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 4½ miles N of Liverpool. Acres, 728. Real property, £2,753. Pop. in 1851, 279; in 1861, 358. Houses, 57. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of trade in Liverpool. Most of the land belongs to the Earl of Sefton. Ford Lodge and Hatton Hall are chief residences."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Details about the census records, and indexes for Orrell.
The Register Office covering the Orrell area is Sefton South.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Orrell to another place.
"ORELL AND FORD, a township in the parish of Sefton, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 5 miles N. of Liverpool."
"FORD, a township united with Orrell, in the parish of Sefton, hundred of West Derby, county palatine of Lancaster, 6 miles N. of Liverpool. It is near the river Alt and the Leeds canal."
In 1835 Orrell was a township in the parish of Sefton.
You can see the administrative areas in which Orrell has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Orrell and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ344980 (Lat/Lon: 53.4743, -2.989204), Orrell which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)