St Mark, Eagland Hill, Church of England
Photograph supplied by & Copyright of Phil Stringer.
It was founded in 1869. The Rev. J. D. Bannister was responsible for the erection of St Mark's Mission Church. The Foundation Stone of the Church was laid by James Jenkinson, the co-founder of Eagland Hill, on the 13th August 1869, and the Church was opened on St.Mark's day, 20th April, 1870. Where the altar of St Mark's now stands, the fire place of James Jenkinson's cottage stood. This cottage, built by James Jenkinson in 1814, was the first to be built on Eagland Hill.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches themselves. For current information you should contact them directly.
It is located at SD4316045282 (Lat/Lon 53.900572, -2.86654). You can see this on maps provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)